A word of caution before I begin: this post will be negative, and it may depress you. It is about the church. More specifically, it is about the problems with the Reformed church. Many Christians say that the church is in trouble. And I agree. But I’m not sure that I agree with the most common diagnoses of this trouble. There is a lack of interest in the Bible today, and this hurts the church. There is also a lack of interest in doctrine today, and this too hurts the church. These are the diagnoses that I hear most frequently, but there are others as well. There is reluctance to participate in the life of the church, and reluctance to be discipled; there is ineffective preaching, but there is also impatience with ineffective preaching. More generally, there is a demand for instant spiritual results that pervades much of the church. In some cases, there is even a demand for entertainment. I agree that the church is hurt by all these things. However, the last few months in Raleigh have led me to suspect that the single greatest threat to the church today, including the Reformed church, is the lack of love among Christians. Let me explain.
Jill and I moved to Raleigh in December, and we immediately began visiting Reformed churches in the area. In particular, we have visited a number of PCA churches, one RCA church, and a few Reformed Baptist churches. Some of these churches have been great, but we have also witnessed a disturbing lack of Christian love at several of these churches. Today, I will write about just one of these churches. I won’t use its name, but I will say that it is a PCA church in the Raleigh area. I listened to a number of sermons by the pastor online, and I liked them, so Jill and I decided to visit. We attended a service, and we then began sitting in on the membership classes. (We were prepared for a short courtship!)
Well, we have now attended four of the six membership classes, and we have been distressed by what we have heard. In particular, we have repeatedly heard the teachers excoriate Baptists, Lutherans, and Catholics. Some truly terrible things have been said about these churches. Furthermore, many of the criticisms of these churches have been grounded in ignorance. Let me mention some examples. A few weeks ago, one of the teachers stated that only Reformed Christians, and not Lutherans or any other Christians, believe in justification by faith alone through grace alone. But that is simply false, as anyone with even a superficial acquaintance with the Protestant Reformation (or the writings of Augustine) can attest. Last Sunday, this same teacher said that the Lutherans abandoned Luther’s teachings after his death. Now, there was a great deal of theological controversy in the Lutheran church after Luther’s death, and many Lutherans did turn away from some of Luther’s central insights; but, the Formula of Concord (1577) resolved many of these debates in favor of the conservative Lutheran party, and many Lutherans today certainly adhere to the doctrines of depravity and grace. It is a gross overstatement – and in fact it is simply mistaken – to claim, as the teacher did, that Lutherans after Luther aren’t really Lutheran. I don’t mean to nitpick, and normally I would excuse such talk as harmless generalization, but the teacher then went on to trash Lutheranism on the basis of this statement.
Another elder said some terrible things about the Catholic Church, such as that Catholics don’t understand anything that is going in the mass, and that the Bible is never preached in Catholic churches. I believe that there is plenty wrong with the Catholic Church, but it is simply false – and also incredibly mean-spirited – to say these things about Catholics. To cite another example, one participant in the class said that Baptists have no doctrine, and that their churches breed heresy. This man said these things in several classes, and the teachers never corrected him.
What grieves me is not just that these things were said, and that most of them were said by elders in the church. I am grieved by these things, but I am also deeply grieved by the fact that these things were stated with an air of smugness and superiority. I heard no love in the words of the elders. I heard no concern to proclaim the Gospel of Christ, no concern to help other Christians better understand Scripture. Instead, what I heard was simply the condemning of Christians who don’t already understand and subscribe to everything in the Westminster Confession. There was no humility, no acknowledgment that they have received the true doctrine as a free gift of the Holy Spirit. It was almost as if they had won the true doctrine for themselves through their superior intelligence, moral character, and yes, personal holiness. There was very little Christian love in those classes. In fact, there was often none at all. I am sorry to be so severe, but I believe that my assessment of the situation is accurate.
If Jill and I only heard these things in the membership class, we would probably stay at this church. And, if we heard these things said at only one Reformed church, we wouldn’t be concerned about the Reformed church generally. However, we have heard such things said at many Reformed churches in Raleigh. Furthermore, in the last few months, I have read such things on many Reformed blogs, and I have heard such things in many Reformed sermons online.
I spend a large amount of time in the Reformed world, as it were. Unfortunately, I see little love in that world. Instead, I see an ugly mixture of hatred, fear, and a smug confidence in personal religiosity that would rival the worst of the Pharisees. I am greatly alarmed by this. I am also deeply saddened. I do not mean to be dramatic, but I have felt on the verge of tears the last few days. If Christians don’t get Christ, who will? In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul says that we may have everything, but that if we don’t have love then we really don’t have anything at all. In other words, Paul says that if you don’t have love, then you can memorize Calvin’s Institutes and all the Reformed confessions and catechisms, but you will have gained nothing. I fear that large parts of the Reformed church don’t have love, and thus have nothing. I fear that the Reformed forest is largely populated with dead trees. I am grieved for these Christians, but I am also grieved for all those non-Christians who won’t hear the true Gospel preached to them because these Christians are spiritually dead. And I am grieved for Christ, whose precious blood was spilled so that His church could tear itself and others to pieces.
Please don’t misunderstand my complaint. I think that doctrine is essential. In fact, I am concerned that Reformed churches don’t spend enough time teaching both Scripture and doctrine to their congregations. The teachers in the membership class clearly didn’t have a good grasp of the history of the Reformed tradition, and they seemed a bit shaky on some points of doctrine as well. That is not good! Reformed Churches should hold classes on Scripture and doctrine, and they should proclaim them publically. But they must do this in a spirit of love.
I am largely Reformed in my theological outlook. I affirm the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed. I affirm the doctrines of depravity and grace. And, I affirm the distinctively Reformed teachings on the sacraments, the third use of the law, the unity of the Old and New Testaments, and so on. But I don’t affirm these teachings because I like Zwingli and Calvin – I affirm them because I believe that they are the teachings of Scripture. Reformed Christians must preach these doctrines, but not for the purpose of demonstrating their superior religiosity – they must preach these doctrines because they are the teachings of Scripture, and because Scripture cannot be truly preached apart from these teachings. All Christians should engage one another in discussion about Scripture and doctrine. But again, we must do so in a spirit of love. If we notice that someone else is in error, we shouldn’t react with hatred, fear, contempt, or vanity. Instead, we should look on that person as our brother or sister in Christ, and we should set about instructing them with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is so much that I want to say about love here, but this post is already way too long. I will try to wrap things up quickly.
Christ died for us. Think about that for a moment – Christ died for us. But Christ was God. Thus, God died for us. God – the Creator of the world – died for us. And not only did God die for us, but He was humiliated and tortured for us. Why did He do this? Love.
God commands us to do many things, but love is at the very top of the list. As Christ made clear, the two greatest commands are to love God with every fiber of our being and to love our neighbor as Christ does. This is the law and the prophets. God is life, and God is love (1 John). Thus, if we are devoid of love, then we are devoid of God, and we are devoid of life.
God commands us to proclaim the Gospel. The Holy Spirit is all powerful, and He could use a tin can to call armies of people to faith. Therefore, He can certainly use people devoid of God and life to bring others to faith. But might not our evangelization be more effective if we possess God, life, and love? I would think so. Let’s try it and see.
Finally, I am sure that the problems I have described are found in many non-Reformed churches, but they seem to be rampant in Reformed churches, at least in this part of the country. If you love the Reformed tradition, as I do, then you should be alarmed by this, and you should take action to help Christ's church. I would be grateful for any suggestions that you might have.
Lord God, Heavenly Father, please bless Your church. Please send the Holy Spirit to fill us with the love of Christ as well as knowledge of Your truth. Finally, please help us to proclaim both Your love and Your truth to all nations. In Christ's name we pray. Amen.
As someone who is pretty much reformed in my understanding of the scriptures but only having been in a reformed church for about five months...I am also alarmed by the smugness of some reformed Christians. One man in my church says the most unloving things about other "types" of Christians. I used to be alarmed at the competitiveness and pride I encountered in my baptist churches only to now see that there is another type of pride being expressed in reformed churches. But for the most part, fortunately, many of the people in my church do show Christian love. The smugness about having superior doctrine and the ignorance of other Christians beliefs and even the beliefs of unbelieving neighbors has been an obstacle in a church ministry I am involved in. There are not a lot of volunteers to try to reach out to unbelievers of a certain faith in our area because, I believe, some may be bigoted. And that is a sad thing, because God wants all types of people to be saved. So your words are hard to hear but it needed to be said.
ReplyDeleteI hope that everything is going well at your new church, and that you and your husband may be able to use your spiritual gifts there. I know that you were searching for a new church for a while. You should blog about how things are going some time.
DeleteInstead, I see an ugly mixture of hatred, fear, and a smug confidence in personal religiosity that would rival the worst of the Pharisees
ReplyDeleteYes indeed, I've seen this too. Several of Christ's words come to mind:
Rev 3:1 ¶ And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead .........Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Doctrinal smugness was something that ensnared me, too. God shook things up a bit for me a couple of years ago and it caused me to start trying to strive for the three things that remain : FAITH, HOPE and LOVE.
Jesus didn't say they would know us by our doctrinal "purity" but by our love one for another...and I would include all of those who love Christ.
If we notice that someone else is in error, we shouldn’t react with hatred, fear, contempt, or vanity. Instead, we should look on that person as our brother or sister in Christ, and we should set about instructing them with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control
I agree, and may I also add that we have to also be willing to be corrected ourselves.
1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.a Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God.
"1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.a Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God."
DeleteWow, Ma, reading that passage just now I see the stark difference between "puffing up" (empty, all outward show, all self) and being "built up" strong, solid, founded on Jesus, a strong foundation.
...and I agree about being willing to be corrected.
Funny that this happened today:
My coworker friend (young "atheist" guy who fixes my computer from time to time, and replaced a brake-light on my car tonite) has been tormented lately because we had a young woman come into our hospital trauma bay a few days ago, whom he tried to help resuscitate. Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem for him, but this was a woman who was shot by her husband as she was trying to protect her baby from him, she was shot in the head...sigh...and he didn't realize until after they attempted resuscitation that he got a big glob of her brain matter on his scrubs (his favorite scrubs, too). He usually tries to make himself feel better about the person who doesn't make it by thinking "he was probably a really scummy, evil jerk" so that he can not feel traumatized himself by the violent or too soon passing of a fellow human being...but with this young mother, he just couldn't think that...the jerk killed HER as she was trying to protect her baby, and it is tearing him apart.
I have been praying for him, he was brought up going to church, he was adopted by a Christian mom, but he says he just cannot believe it, feels like it's a fairy tale, but he has no hope, and when things like the above happen, he can become really morbid for weeks. When we were talking about it tonight, he said "The jerks kill good people and get away with it, it just isn't fair" and I countered "none of us are perfect, we all have sinned" and he said, "Yeah, but I'm talking about really evil people..." and I said "All have sinned, take me, as a for instance, I've only been perfect for the last 10 years" :D Made him laugh...then he went out to my car with me (was time for me to go home) and replaced my burned out brake light.
None of us are perfect. For some reason we like to try to make others EVEN LESS PERFECT than ourselves so we can puff ourselves up in our own eyes (I don't think it fools anyone else except ourselves).
As we parted, my friend gave me a big smile with a sparkle of love in his eyes. Still praying for him. :)
None of us are perfect. For some reason we like to try to make others EVEN LESS PERFECT than ourselves so we can puff ourselves up in our own eyes (I don't think it fools anyone else except ourselves).
DeleteYeah I know, what is it about us?
Thanks Leslie for this post and I have enjoyed your comments on Gregg's blog, too. I agree with you on some points there.
God is the one who does things, so no matter how bad man's preaching is, God will make a way. I do believe false teachers that are knowingly preaching falsehood will be held accountable. BUT, His sheep know HIS voice.
I don't get all bent out of shape anymore with the state of the "church". It is not up to us. We are salt and light. THAT is what we should be.
1PET 3:15:)
Amen! Now I just need to put that into practice...
DeleteThank you both for your comments. I especially appreciated CC's reminder that many Reformed Christians are bearing rich fruit, and also Ma's reminder that we need to accept correction ourselves.
ReplyDeleteI need to do some serious thinking about how I could do a better job of preaching the Gospel. I know that I have many faults in that area.
I certainly did not mean to imply that most of the Christians at the church I visited are devoid of love, or even that the elders in the class I attended are devoid of love. I think that their words and conduct in the class were devoid of love; but, I am sure that many of them are quite loving people outside of the classroom, and I am sure that they often love their neighbors quite well. Nevertheless, there were some serious problems with the class, and I have seen some of these same problems outside of the class at the church.
Christianity is incredibly hard. In particular, it seems that it is very easy to veer too far to the right or the left on many issues. Sometimes it feels like walking a tightrope. In my post, I criticized some Christians for being overly zealous about doctrine. However, it is also possible to be insufficiently zealous for doctrine, and I know that I have been prone to that error myself. For example, until recently I gave very little thought to evangelizing others through any means at all, and that is certainly a failure of to have sufficient zeal for doctrine.
At any rate, I did not like writing this post, but I think that it is accurate, and I am concerned about the state of the Reformed church, both for the Christians in it and those outside of it.