Haggai lived and prophesied during the post-exilic period. For those who are not familiar with this period, a little historical background may be helpful. In about the year 1000 B.C., David formed the united kingdom of Israel. In about the year 922, under king Rehoboam, a son of Solomon, the united kingdom of Israel split into two halves. The northern half was called the kingdom of Israel, and it contained most of the twelve tribes. The southern half was called the kingdom of Judah, and it largely consisted of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin, together with many Levites. King David came from the tribe of Judah, and his tribe predominated in the kingdom of Judah. (You will remember that the tribe of Benjamin was nearly destroyed in the book of Judges.) At any rate, the Assyrians destroyed the northern kingdom of Israel in about 722. The Assyrians deported many of the Israelites to their eastern provinces, and they settled many non-Israelites in the former northern kingdom of Israel. These people became the Samaritans. The southern kingdom of Judah continued until 597, when the Babylonians attacked and deported the king. By 587/6, many of the Israelites of Judah, including a great many nobles and prominent citizens, had been deported to Babylon. This was the beginning of the exile. The exile lasted about seventy years, as Jeremiah had prophesied. At the end of this time, the Persians defeated the Babylonians, rescued the Israelites, and sent them back to Judah with funds to help rebuild the temple. All of this is narrated in 1-2 Kings, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah. It is also discussed by many of the prophets, including Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel.
The exile was incredibly traumatic for the ancient Israelites. Many were killed by the Babylonians. Jerusalem lay in ruins. The Temple was desecrated and destroyed. The line of Davidic kings had been interrupted. There were still Davidides – the line of David had not been extinguished – but there was no throne for a Davidic king to occupy. The Israelites had lost their temple, their king, their city, and many of their citizens. Reading about these losses in Lamentations in heartbreaking. Here is Lamentations 2:20-21:
See, O Lord, and behold,And here is Lamentations 3:16-20:
To whom You have done this!
Alas, women eat their own fruit,
Their new-born babes!
Alas, priest and prophet are slain
In the Sanctuary of the Lord!
Prostrate in the streets lie
Both young and old.
My maidens and youths
Are fallen by the sword;
You slew them on Your day of wrath,
You slaughtered them without pity.
He has broken my teeth on gravel,The exile was a tragedy of the greatest proportions. Many Israelites no doubt gave up hope, convinced that YHWH had abandoned them. But prophets such as Jeremiah and Ezekiel prophesied restoration, and they were proved right – the Persians returned the Israelites to Judah after defeating the Babylonians, and they even gave the Israelites money to start rebuilding the temple, as the books of Ezra and Nehemiah tell us.
Has ground me into the dust.
My life was bereft of peace,
I forgot what happiness was.
I thought my strength and hope
Had perished before the LORD.
To recall my distress and misery
Was wormwood and poison;
Whenever I thought of them,
I was bowed low.
You would think that the Israelites would have rejoiced when returning to Judah. And many did rejoice, but many also wept. When the new temple was built, there were tears of joy, but there were also tears of sadness. The young were apparently overjoyed to have a temple at all, while many of the elderly remembered the greater grandeur of the old temple and cried in sorrow. Here is Ezra 3:12-13:
Many of the priests and Levites and the chiefs of the clans, the old men who had seen the first house, wept loudly at the sight of the founding of this house. Many others shouted joyously at the top of their voices. The people could not distinguish the shouts of joy from the people’s weeping, for the people raised a great shout, the sound of which could be heard from afar.And here is Haggai 2:3:
Who is there left among you who saw this House in its former splendor? How does it look to you now? It must seem like nothing.So, the Israelites returned to Judah after the exile, and they finally rebuilt the Temple, but it was much less impressive than the old temple, which some of the elderly still remembered. On top of this, the Israelites faced serious military threats from the locals, they still had no Davidic king, and much of Jerusalem still lay in ruins.
Things were looking pretty grim for the Israelites. But then Haggai revealed an amazing prophecy:
Be strong, all you people of the land—says the LORD—and act! For I am with you—says the LORD of Hosts. So I promised you when you came out of Egypt, and My spirit is still in your midst. Fear not! For thus said the LORD of Hosts: In just a little while longer I will shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land; I will shake all the nations. And the precious things of all the nations shall come [here], and I will fill this House with glory, said the LORD of Hosts. The glory of this latter House shall be greater than that of the former one, said the LORD of Hosts; and in this place I will grant prosperity—declares the LORD of Hosts. (2:4b-9)What an incredible revelation! There is much to say about this passage, but I want to concentrate on three essential points.
First, this passage is a wonderful testimony to God’s faithfulness. The Israelites had rebelled against God and committed heinous sins from the very day that God freed them from slavery in Egypt. Think of the golden calf, the complaints about eating manna, the refusal to enter the Promised Land, the disobedience under Joshua, the idolatry of the period of the Judges (and all subsequent periods), the crimes against the poor – there is no end to the list of their sins. Despite all God had done for Israel, the Israelites never really accepted God’s rule, not for a single day. God was merciful, but He was also just, and eventually He punished the Israelites with the Assyrian and Babylonian invasions. God utterly destroyed the northern kingdom of Israel and exiled the southern kingdom of Judah for their sins. But God forgave, and He turned back to Judah, and He rescued them from exile. And, though the Israelites had committed heinous sins for generations and generations, God told them that He was still with them just as He was at the time of the exodus. I think that this is one of the most moving passages in all of Scripture. God’s love burns brilliant and bright. It is white with heat, and nothing can extinguish it. Not even sin. I stop here for a moment to praise God for His faithful love, and in particular for His faithfulness to His covenant promises.
Second, this promise of God’s continued presence wasn’t just a comfort to the ancient Israelites – it is a comfort to us today. I won’t spend too much time on this point, but it should be mentioned that God didn’t cease to be present with His people when the Romans destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. No, when Jesus arrived on the scene, God was present with His people in a new way, and God is present with His people today, apart from the temple. Jesus remains our eternal advocate in heaven, and the Father and the Son have sent the Holy Spirit, our Comfort and our Help, to lead us and indwell us on earth. But we should not forget the exodus, and we should not forget the words that God revealed to Haggai. When God rescued the Israelites from Egypt, He promised to remain with them always, and He was faithful to His word. Similarly, when Christ rescued us from sin, He promised to preserve us and never to lose us, and He was faithful to His word as well. I am speaking here of the preservation of the saints: God will preserve His children in faith, as He promised in passages like 1 Thessalonians 5: 23-24, and as He foreshadowed – or just plain declared – in passages like Haggai 2:4b-9. I stop here for a moment to praise God for His preservation of the saints, which is connected to His covenant faithfulness, and so to His faithful love.
Third, God uses punishment and suffering to discipline our hearts and teach us love. I won’t go into any details here, because this post is already quite long. I will simply observe that God succeeded to a great extent in purging the worship of alien gods and many other sinful practices from ancient Israel, but it came at a terrible cost. In particular, it came through the Assyrian destruction of the north and the defeat and exile of the south at the hands of Babylon. God will not let sin go unpunished forever, and He often purges of us sin through punishment, which is painful. We should reflect on these two facts when we experience the Father’s discipline, and we should allow these facts to move us to repentance even when we don’t feel His hand upon us. Let us not be like Israel and Judah of old. Lord, we pray this in Your Most Holy Name. We also thank You for Your Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and we thank You for Your Word as revealed to us in the Holy Scriptures. Amen.
I'll admit that it has been quite a while ago that I read the book of Haggai. What you bring up about the young shouting for joy while the old wept because they remembered the glory of old is what stands out for me in my memory of having read that before.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that how it is today too? I mean, what brings young people joy and rejoicing often brings me to tears in my thoughts of prior days of prior "glory" and "how things used to be" (being a grandmother in my fifties, I guess in many of the "younger generation's" eyes I am quite old, lol)
What you bring up about the promised future is heartening, and it puts it in better and more tangible perspective for me....like the "golden age of yore" will be fully restored and then some exceeding all it's former splendor as we may remember it, in that glorious future that is yet to come.
Thanks for bringing it into such clear view. :)
Thanks for your comments. Grandmother or not, you are definitely not old! People under twenty often think that anyone over twenty is old. Teenagers think that twenty-one is old and that twenty-nine is ancient. Then they get a bit older and realize that life really doesn't get under way until adulthood, and that adulthood requires a fair amount of experience, responsibility, and wisdom before it can really get started. I'm 34, and I'm just now starting to get my head straight.
ReplyDeleteMake sure that you impart some wisdom to your grandchildren! I wish that I had listened more carefully to my own grandparents. Like many kids, I thought that I knew everything when in fact I knew very little. I suppose some things don't really change.
A few words on Haggai.
I think that Haggai touches on the transitory and fragile nature of human existence. Haggai's prophecies contain great joy and comfort, but they also draw attention to our frailty.
I sometimes feel like a yo-yo when I read Scripture - it is heartbreaking to read about what happened to the Israelites at the hands of the Babylonians, but it is uplifting to read about God's rescue of the Israelites from Babylon - and one can read about both events in some of the same books of Scripture. It is much the same with sin and grace - it is incredibly sad to consider the extent of our sin, but it it is even more encouraging to consider the grace that we receive through Christ. And, of course, teachings on sin and grace are found together throughout Scripture. The Bible presents us with a world that is truly and radically sinful and broken, but also a world that will be redeemed by an all holy, good, and powerful God.
After all this heavy blogging the last few days I feel like I need to watch something funny and unwind. Maybe I can talk Jill into watching the Goonies later.
Is that ("The Goonies") with Peter Sellers? He was in an early television show by that name. I just recently read a book about his life, found him to be a very sad and lonely person that put on a front, and that he felt like there was no "Peter Sellers" that he only was "real" when a character he played gave him "life".
Delete...and about age, I wanted to add that I thought you were rather young (from your photo with your sweet bride)...and want to add that at your age I was still VERY confused (still am, but slightly less so, and learning greater dependence on the Lord's leading), so your thoughts about the Bible that you revealed a few days ago makes sense to me (somewhat, anyway, lol) but that I hope that the Lord leads you to greater things in Him, not in humanistic leanings. However, I understand that things do take time, and the Lord doesn't show us all things at one time...and, also, however (wow I don't usually string all three of those together, lol) you do think much clearer on things Biblical than I did at your age, so I definitely think there is hope for you :oD
DeleteOh, and looked up "The Goonies" and see it had nothing to do with Peter Seller's original Goonies series. Sigh.
Thank you for the hope that you expressed - I too hope that the Lord continues to help me grow in knowledge and obedience. What you said about the journey being a gradual one is right on. God often reveals things to us gradually.
ReplyDeleteI share your concern about humanistic leanings. One of the great dangers in departing from full inerrancy about Scripture and full orthodoxy about doctrine is that we can easily come to believe that we can trust ourselves to judge what is true and what is moral. I don't need to tell you that this is one of the greatest problems with our society today - people believe that they themselves can decide what is right, often by simply consulting their present feelings, even though there is ample evidence that man's mind and heart are corrupted by the effects of sin. I would consider myself an inerrantist about 98.5% of the Bible, but that still exposes me to this danger. I completely understand the concerns that more conservative Christians might have about my position. I have the same concerns myself, and I am often quite concerned for other Christians who seem to set aside Scripture and orthodoxy readily, often over a feeling that they haven't even thought about very carefully (not that our minds are reliable apart from our feelings).
To be honest, I rarely discuss my controversial views with other Christians, and most of my Christian friends are thoroughly Reformed. I am not out to stir up any trouble, and I am extremely reluctant to say anything that I think might serve as a stumbling block to others. I don't want others to have a lower view of Scripture, but a much higher one. I am much more interested in learning from others than trying to promote my own views on things; and, I doubt that I will write many posts about my controversial views in the future. At the same time, I thought that I wouldn't be honest to my readers if I didn't say something about these views on the blog, which was why I wrote that post a few days ago.
I have already learned a lot from you, Ma, DebbieLynne, Committed Christian, and others. Thanks so much for letting me be part of the conversation. And please feel free to correct me whenever you think I go astray. I would appreciate the advice and consider it carefully.
You know what, I mixed up Peter Sellers and Peter Falk. No, The Goonies is a silly comedy from the 80's and doesn't have anything to do with Peter Sellers. Peter Falk was in The Princess Bride, though, and that's a great movie too.
ReplyDelete