The Church has been singing the texts of some of these Advent and Christmastide songs for centuries. They capture the sojourn of God’s people in particularly poignant and haunting ways. It’s a beautiful and sometimes maddening paradox to live in the piercing light of the Incarnation and yet at times feel so helplesly lost and defeated. Advent and Christmastide is the story we live right now. We wait again expectantly for the return of the King in power ... and as we wait, we sing these pilgrim songs. When we return to these songs every year we are slowly formed into a people that are no longer ovewhelmed by the darkness around us: Our hope is confident, our love is selfless, our joy is contagious, and our peace enduring.
One of my favorite songs on the album is "We Three Kings". I hadn't listened to this song since I was a child, and I had never really listened to the lyrics. When I did, I was immediately moved to worship. How powerful these words are:
Myrrh is mine: its bitter perfume
Breathes a life of gathering gloom.
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying
Sealed in the stone-cold tomb.
Some other favorites of mine are "Hark! 'Tis the Watchman's Cry" and "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence". The music for these songs seems particularly fitting. I can't imagine them being played any other way.
The songs are played in a number of styles, but I would describe many as bluegrass, or bluegrass-ish. However, I think that you would enjoy the album even if you are not an avid fan of bluegrass music, as I am.
The album can be found here. It costs eight bucks, but you can preview the entire album for free. Here is the embedded link:
God bless, and have a great weekend.
I listened to a bit, beautiful:)
ReplyDeleteO Come O Come Emmanuel is one of my favorites.
Found this young man on Youtube:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-KqRorv9sY
Amazing talent!
and:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUv7J4hTFE&NR=1&feature=endscreen
I am glad that you both enjoyed the music. And thanks for the links to the young bluegrass musicians Susan.
ReplyDelete