When I was a kid, I loved to watch This Old House with my dad. I'm not sure what it was about the show that I liked so much. Bob Vila was a cool guy, and I liked the idea of growing a beard, driving a pickup truck, and doing carpentry all day while wearing a flannel shirt and jeans. But I think that there was something more about the show that kept my interest. I think it was the fact that my dad and I watched it together. That meant a lot to me. Also, I knew that my dad was good at carpentry too, and that made me proud. Anyways, "Louisiana Fairytale" was the original theme song for the show, and it has stuck with me ever since.
I used to watch it too. My hubby dabbled in carpentry a bit, his grandfather was one.
ReplyDeleteGreat song.
My brother watches the "do it yourself" shows, I believe that "This Old House" is one of them. He loves carpentry, but it is a hobby for him, he has a "real job" and then putters around in his garage and makes stuff for himself and a few close friends and made a couple of pieces of furniture for my mom. Funny how some tunes stick with you and bring special memories to mind.
ReplyDelete"This Old House" was a great show. "The New Yankee Workshop" was also pretty good. My wife works for Habitat for Humanity now, and I am planning to volunteer with the construction team so that I can learn how to tile and roof. Those skills are valuable, and they can save you a lot of money.
ReplyDelete