childish
faith – encapsulates all, or at least very nearly all, of true Christian faith.
However, before I can suggest this, I need to say what it means to have
childlike faith.
Let
me begin with a story. A few months after I met Jill, her friend Paul asked me
to start a Bible study with him. We decided to read Mark, and for the next few
months we met for several hours every Wednesday to discuss a chapter or two. It
was a great time. Paul is a wonderful person and a faithful disciple, and I
learned a lot from him. Actually, I didn’t realize this until recently, and I
doubt whether he ever thought about our Bible study in this way, but he was
really my first Christian mentor. He and his family now live in California, and
Jill and I miss them a great deal, but now I’m getting off topic. So, back to
the story.
One
night, Paul and I were talking about Mark 10, and the conversation eventually
turned to Mark 10:15. We were both stumped. What exactly did Jesus mean by
saying that no one will enter the kingdom of heaven unless he has the faith of
a child? Paul has several children of his own, and we tried to think about them
a bit. What is their faith like? Do they question their faith, or do they
receive it uncritically? Would Jesus really say that true faith is uncritical
and unquestioning? That didn’t seem likely, especially given passages like Matthew
14:22-33, Mark 9:24, and John 20:24-27. What did Jesus mean then? After a few
cups of tea and a lot of discussion, we finally decided that the answer to the
question was trust: to have the faith of a child is to trust the Father, Son,
and Holy Spirit. It’s about trust in God. Of course, unless we can articulate
what it means to have trust in God, we still won’t understand what it means to
have the faith of a child. Sitting at Paul’s kitchen table, I thought that I
understood what it meant to trust God, and I suppose that I was right, at least
to some extent. But there was much about trusting in God that I did yet not
understand. This brings me to another story.
By
the end of my Bible study with Paul, I began to feel a sense of uneasiness
about my faith. It wasn’t overwhelming, but it was definitely present, and it
was negative. It was a gnawing feeling that told me that although my faith
might seem strong in many ways, it was still quite weak. I sometimes wondered
whether I had even begun the journey at all. The Bible study with Paul ended in
2009. Flash forward to Easter weekend of 2012. Jill and I had been in Raleigh
for only a few short months. I felt that the Lord was calling me to a deeper
faith, but the sense of uneasiness was as strong as ever. We celebrated
Passover with a lovely family from Temple Beth Meyer on Friday, and then we
headed to Maryland to spend Easter Sunday with some dear friends of ours from
Chicago (they had moved to Maryland a few months before we departed for
Raleigh.)
Our
friends – their names are Adam and Jennifer – have always enjoyed children’s
literature, and they now have one toddler and one baby, which means that they
have a fairly extensive collection of children’s books. One night, we all sat
in their front room reading children’s books to one another and to Adam and
Jennifer’s toddler. The books were great. I sometimes enjoy action movies and
comedies, but I am constantly disappointed by the level of profanity, violence,
sexuality, and general crudeness in our popular culture. I crave a popular
culture that is more wholesome and fulfilling, and reading children’s books
with my friends was a welcome relief. Anyway, Jill and I had been talking a lot
about having children, and when we returned home from visiting our friends, I
decided to do a little research on Bible books for children. I did a quick
search on Amazon, found an interesting title called Psalms for Young Children, and sent away for it. After a few days,
the book arrived, and I started to read it.
The
book consists of a few dozen psalms from the Bible, paraphrased for children
and accompanied by illustrations. The paraphrases are faithful to the meaning
of the original texts of the psalms, and the illustrations are quite simple.
Thus, one might think that reading Psalms
for Young Children would be no more illuminating than reading the original
psalms in the Bible, and perhaps even less, for the paraphrases are decidedly
aimed at children. Well, one might think that, but one would be wrong. To be
honest – and I realize that this may sound incredible – reading Psalms for Young Children was one of the
most powerful reading experiences of my life. I have spent a lot of time
reading the Bible over the past few years, and I have also read a lot of
scholarship on the Bible, but it was Psalms
for Young Children that taught me the true meaning of trust in God. I don’t
want to say that the Bible itself cannot teach this, or even that commentaries
and monographs on the Bible cannot teach this. That would be silly. But God
used a children’s book to teach me the true meaning of trust in God.
It
will be helpful to consider a few psalms from the book. Here is the book’s
paraphrase of Psalm 1:
When I listen to you, God,
when I do what you ask me to,
I am like a tree
planted by a river,
a tree full of fruit
with leaves that are always green.
Here
is the book’s paraphrase of Psalm 4:
God, when I’m in my bed
at night, I think about you.
And then I’m not scared of
anything. I can fall asleep
quietly and in peace.
Finally,
here is the book’s paraphrase of Psalm 13:
Sometimes, when I’m very sad,
I worry that you will
forget
about me, God.
But
then I remember that
you
love me always.
So
I will sing and be happy!
These paraphrases are
faithful to the meaning of the original psalms, but they are clearly written
from the perspective of a child; and, though they are simplified, they capture
the essence of the psalms of which they are paraphrases. In particular, they capture
the emotions of the psalmist, and they make those emotions vivid. Sometimes
these are positive feelings of joy, happiness, praise, or gratitude; sometimes
these are negative feelings of despair, sorrow, fear, or anxiety. But – and
this is the important point – in every single one of the paraphrases, whether
positive or negative, the psalmist clearly approaches God in trust. In the
positive cases, the psalmist approaches God with full trust that his
expressions of joy, happiness, praise, or gratitude will be accepted by God. In
the negative cases, the psalmist approaches God will full trust that his
expressions of despair, sorrow, fear, or anxiety will be heard by God, and that
God will act on his behalf.
Of course, these
elements are all present in the original texts of the psalms, but those
elements never really penetrated my heart before. For some reason, I needed the
childlike simplicity of the paraphrases – and perhaps also the illustrations –
for the trust of the psalmist to reach me. Before reading Psalms for Young Children, I had some understanding of what it
means to trust God, and I could have cited many passages from Scripture in
which such trust is exemplified and extolled. But my understanding was purely
mental – it was confined to my head. In reading Psalms for Young Children, I experienced that trust for the first
time; or, rather, I experienced it in a powerful way which I had never
experienced before. Again, I think that the childlike simplicity of the
paraphrases, which are also expressed in first-person language, is extremely
effective in communicating both the emotional state of the speaker and the
trust in God that underlies that emotional state. And, as sometimes happens
when reading literature, the language of the paraphrase helped me to feel the
psalmist’s trust in God in my own heart – his trust became my trust, his prayer
my prayer.
For the next two weeks,
I read no Bible, and I read no scholarship on the Bible. Instead, I read
through Psalms for Young Children
every few days, concentrating on the text and praying the psalms as fervently
as I could. As I did this, I grew in my understanding of what it means to trust
God.
I thought about what it
means to trust a friend. When I have a problem, I often turn to a friend for
help. In doing so, I don’t run through a conscious decision process about which
friend I should ask, or what words I should use to ask – I simply pick up the
phone and call. Such behavior is perfectly ordinary, and it reflects our trust
in our friends. When we turn to our friends in this way, we assume that we can
reach them, and we also assume that they will want to help us. We take their
existence, reachability, and willingness to help for granted, not in a bad
sense, but in a good sense – we know that they are there for us, and that we
can rely on them. We don’t have to ask ourselves whether they really exist,
whether they really answer their cell phones, or whether they really want to
help. It would be strange to ask such questions about our friends. They’re there
for us; that’s what friendship’s about, at least in part.
As I thought about
these things, I asked myself whether I trusted in God in the way that I trusted
in my friends. I quickly realized that the answer was no. Although I frequently
thought about God, and even prayed daily for other people, I seldom came to God
with my troubles. I went to friends, not God. Why? Was it because I didn’t
really believe that God was real? No, it was because I didn’t think that He
really heard me, or that He was present with me, or even that He cared. I never
doubted God’s reality or power – I doubted His love and His care. I doubted
that He would even bother with me. The world is so broken, and things have gone
so badly for me so many times. Why should I trust God this time? Wasn’t it
better simply to assume that God wouldn’t come through? Wouldn’t I be stronger
and less vulnerable to the vicissitudes of the world if I didn’t count on God?
And wasn’t it better not to ask for things for myself and simply try to muddle
through on the basis of my faith?
I shouldn’t need to
tell you that faith of this kind is not true faith. It is certainly not the
faith of a mature Christian disciple, and it is definitely not the faith of a
child. It is a weak, immature faith. If your faith is weak and immature in this
way, don’t despair – God is calling you to a robust, mature faith. But let’s
call a spade a spade. My faith was weak and immature. Furthermore – and this is
the point I really want to drive home here – it was not childlike. It was adult
in every bad sense of the word – cynical, skeptical, wounded, and weary.
Childlike faith looks very different from this. Provided that a child comes
from a healthy home, he will come to his parents with his fears and joys, his
triumphs and desires. If a child is scared of a monster in his closest, he
comes to his parents. If he is excited about a new cartoon, he tells his
parents all about it. And yes, if he wants a toy, he asks his parents for it.
The point is this – the child trusts his parents. In particular, he knows that
his parents are real, that they will listen to him, and that they will respond
to him in loving-kindness. The child understands his dependence on his parents;
he would never try to go it alone in the world. The child cannot understand
himself or the world apart from his parents; his parents are everything.
This is what childlike
faith looks it. Childlike faith is fundamentally characterized by trust, and we
trust in God when we know – not just intellectually, but in our bones – that
God is real, that He hears us, that He is present with us, and that He responds
to us in loving-kindness. To trust God is to treat Him as real as a child
treats his parents. To trust God is to come to Him with our joys, triumphs,
fears, anxieties, and wants. To trust God is to understand that we are
dependent on God, and that we can’t go it alone in the world. To trust God is
to regard Him as the center of our lives, to be unable to understand the world
apart from Him. It is possible to understand such trust with one’s head, but it
will not be true trust until it has penetrated the heart. To truly trust God –
to have the faith of a child – is to experience the world in a distinct way, a
way that is only available to those who believe. If there is anything more to
mature Christian faith than having such trust in the Father, Son, and Holy
Spirit, then I don’t know what it is.
Jesus says that “whoever
does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.” I
have just described what it means to have the faith of a child, and there are
many passages from Scripture that support my analysis. (See, e.g., Psalms 63,
131; Matthew 6:11, 6:25-34, 7:7-11; Mark 9:14-29; Luke 11:9-13; Hebrews 11; 1
Peter 5:7.) In my next few posts, I will
provide some suggestions for how one might work at developing the faith of a
child. These suggestions will all be taken from Scripture, or else from writers
who themselves have borrowed from Scripture. When we consider the challenge of
developing childlike faith, we may feel daunted, but we need to remember that
Jesus has commanded us to do it, and that we do not labor alone – the Spirit
indwells us and works on our behalf. Finally, we should remember that
developing childlike faith, like Christian discipleship generally, is a
lifelong task.
I love that verse in 1Peter. Why is it so hard for us to trust? I think about what Jesus said about US not treating children right in Mark 9. He understand the innocence of childlike trust and how horrendous it is to take advantage of it.
ReplyDeleteAdam and Eve were like children in the garden, I suppose, and the serpent made them doubt that God was completely good.
Ma, you hit the nail on the head. The original sin of Adam and Eve was a fundamental lack of trust in God, and we again and again in the Bible that the lack of such trust leads God's people astray. I plan to write on that issue soon. I also plan to write on why it is so hard for us to trust. Actually, that will probably be my next post.
DeleteI look forward to that one.
DeleteWow, very good blog!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you enjoyed it, and I hope you will be back.
DeleteHi Leslie,
ReplyDeleteNow that I'm getting up in years, I sometimes think about death approaching, and I do experience fear regarding it. The Bible tells us that perfect love casts out all fear. When I feel fearful, I've noticed that I remember Bible verses that cast out my fear. That is the Lord at work, His perfect love doing just what He said He would do. :)
On the way home from work tonight I was again thinking about death. Then I thought about how tired I am from working late (until 11:30pm Sat and Sun of e.o. weekend) and about going to sleep. Then the thought:
"Do you know what tomorrow will bring? Do you doubt it will come when you wake up? Do you fear going to sleep because you do not know what tomorrow holds? ... "
then the thought:
"Life after death is just like that, we do not know what it will hold for us any more than we know what will happen tomorrow, but just trust that the Lord will bring it just as He has brought so many tomorrows after the restful sleep of the night before, and that He will hold you just like He holds you in suspension when you sleep and dream, He never leaves and then He awakens you to a fresh day."
True. I trust Him to watch over me when I sleep. I trust that I will awaken to a new day after sleeping through the night before. And I never know what tomorrow will bring, and yet I don't fear it like I do death. He is Lord over all. He is Lord over my restful slumber as well as Lord over the time of my death. Nothing is too difficult for Him.
When I first came to Jesus, I approached Him with that childlike faith that said "Please show me that You are real, because right now I don't have a clue" I was honest, sincere, and direct. I didn't use "high fallutin" words to impress anyone who might be hearing me. I had prayed those kinds of prayers before, and I don't think they even reached the ceiling, they only reached the ears of those whom I thought I could impress in this world of my religiosity. But when I came to Jesus REALLY, I told Him exactly of my lack and my desire to know the truth, and He honored my sincere request...even though looking at it now I think "why didn't He rebuke me for my insolence of not just accepting that He is God and send me to hell for my lack of faith...why did He treat me so generously?" Why indeed. He is a wonderful God, that's why. :)