Jill and I had a wonderful weekend together. Jill works on Saturday, but she has Monday off. Thus, we tend to think of the weekend as consisting of Sunday and Monday, rather than Saturday and Sunday. And that is why I am writing about our weekend late Monday night. Anyway, we had a great time.
We attended a lovely service at a Moravian church on Sunday morning. We then attended a picnic that was organized by the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity for its volunteers. (In case you didn't know, Jill works for Habitat.) The picnic was fun. I met some of Jill's co-workers, and I had the chance to talk with a number of volunteers. They were all great. When we came home, we watched All the President's Men, which I blogged about earlier today. We slept in this morning, and then we spent most of the afternoon working on the apartment, which was actually enjoyable - we listened to music while we worked, and we stopped a few times to play with our dog, Augustine. We managed to clean most of the apartment. We also unpacked some boxes from our move, and we hung some pictures. When we finished, the apartment looked good. To celebrate, we made dinner and watched Captain Blood. I could write a long post about Captain Blood, but I won't. I'll just say that it was a fine movie.
I almost forgot the best part of the weekend. On Saturday night, I made challah from scratch. It was delicious. But Jill surprised me with challah French toast on Sunday morning, and that was even more delicious. Jill and I munched on challah throughout the weekend, and Augustine had a few bites himself. I think that he was quite pleased.
Few things in life are as rewarding or as restful as a long, peaceful weekend with one's family. I have been blessed with an amazing wife. And my dog's pretty great too. The Lord has bestowed many blessings on me. I pray that I will receive them gratefully, and that I will use them for the glory of God. Amen.
Aww, that does sound so very sweet, Leslie! Augustine sounds like a really nice companion. Hopefully you'll post some pics of him sometime :)
ReplyDeleteI find that I'm not nearly as grateful as I should be, and perhaps that might partially (although I also thing that chemical/hormone imbalances can have alot to do with it) be the problem with depression, how can we possibly remain depressed when we are truly thankful and praising God for all His blessings and mercies???? LoL But I do also lapse into "if only" kinds of thinking, and thinking that "the good ole days" are gone forever....sigh, and also start dwelling on what I did wrong and how I cannot take it back, and, and, and.....(then I remember it's all about Jesus, NOT all about me, and He has risen to forgive me of my shortcomings, and has promised that my future will outshine and outlast my tarnished semi-glorious past)...if I remember to stay thankful for the right things, and remember the promises, and remember my blessings, it is all good, no matter what else is going on around me (Romans 8:28)
I am gladly joining with you in prayer that all will be used to God's glory, and that we will be good friends/family for eternity with Him as we praise Him for all He has done, forever and ever, amen. :D
I will definitely post some pictures of Augustine soon. You can count on that.
DeleteI am sorry to read that you too have struggled with depression, if that is what you meant to say. I have been planning to write more about depression. I will do that soon. It can be very hard to quiet thoughts of regret, but we need to. We know that they don't help us in any way, and often they are misguided to begin with - when we are filled with regret, we often see the past in a much more negative light than is warranted by what really happened. Often we let one or two negative events color how we see a whole portion of our past, when in fact there were many good things that also happened to us during those times. Anyway, I will be praying your prayer.
I relate so much to Susan's comments, and yours, too Leslie. Depression is tough, I still have some issues with it, though not as much as pre-knowing Jesus.
ReplyDelete